Avoid Problems from Microbial Growth

Remove Standing Water
Standing water is a breeding ground for microorganisms,
which can become airborne and be inhaled. Where
floodwater contains sewage or decaying animal carcasses,
infectious disease is of concern. Even when flooding is
due to rainwater, the growth of microorganisms can cause
allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. For these health
reasons, and to lessen structural damage, all standing
water should be removed as quickly as possible.
Dry Out Your Home
Excess moisture in the home is an indoor air quality
concern for three reasons:
• Microorganisms brought into the home during flooding
may present a health hazard. These organisms can
penetrate deep into soaked, porous materials and later
be released into air or water. Coming in contact with
air or water that contains these organisms can make
you sick.
• High humidity and moist materials provide ideal
environments for the excessive growth of
microorganisms that are always present in the home.
This may result in additional health concerns such as
allergic reactions.
• Long-term increases in humidity in the home can also
foster the growth of dust mites. Dust mites are a major
cause of allergic reactions and asthma.

Contact David Brandt at 406-892-1717 or floodco@centurytel.net