Warmer weather teases us daily. Spring is at last showing signs of arrival here in NW Montana. After such a long cold, wet winter this year, valley residents are at last beginning to enjoy outdoor activities and open up windows that have been shut tightly for 4-5 months.
It’s not only us humans appreciating the change in season, but also plants that will begin to bloom. This also means people who suffer from allergies to pollen and mold are sneezing, coughing and feeling itchy eyes. Literally tons of pollen and various mold spores travel great distances through the region’s outdoor air, especially during windy spring days. These air quality contaminants can be a concern to both people enjoying the outdoor weather and even those indoors as outdoor allergens can blow in through open doors and windows, dragged in on pets and even on our clothes.
People who suffer from year round allergies may see an increased allergic response due to the seasonal condition, but they should also carefully examine their indoor environments for possible allergens. At home, work, or school and other public buildings, environmental issues indoors can impact our health. A common cause of year long allergies is elevated indoor mold levels which will be generally caused by moisture problems, new or old, known or not, within a home or building. The inside of a building may not be showing visible signs of water damage or mold growth, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a hidden problem lurking inside a crawl space, attic – even behind drywall in wall and ceiling cavities.
For people experiencing allergic conditions or respiratory problems, there are options including having tests done by trained professionals who specialize in the indoor air environment. However, before spending money on mold testing it is a good idea to do a really thorough visual inspection of the premises. Look everywhere in the structure for signs of recent or past water damage. Plumbing leaks, condensation or sewage spills can very quickly cause mold or other organisms to start growing wherever building materials became soaked or just a little damp. Carpets and padding that were not completely dried after cleaning or building framing in attics or crawlspaces can be hidden mold incubators. One non-functioning bathroom fan can cause mold to explode in an attic space or bathroom.
Mold growth is nearly inevitable if materials become wet, particularly in dark, still places like wall cavities, closets, behind furniture, or within closed off rooms. Mold becomes suspicious when air smells ‘funky’. Musty odors can pointy you to the location of mold growth. If mold is apparent and visible there usually is no point in having a mold test done. Simply pick up the phone and call us for help with the first step to curing your indoor air quality issue. Mold cleaning involving more than a couple of square feet are usually NOT Do-It-Yourself projects.
Call the Indoor Air Quality professionals at Floodco, LLC. 406 892-1717. We are here to help you breathe easier!
Other recent posts on this subject you might find helpful are: