Some time ago we invited you to peek into the most famous and beautifully detailed miniature home in the world. This is posted again by request for your enjoyment on a cold and rainy weekend.
As restoration professionals we at Floodco appreciate the fine craftsmanship observed in the homes where we work. So far we’ve seen nothing on this scale and nothing like this exquisite and historic work. Though rooms are tiny and furnishings delicate, this is a ‘trophy home’ in a real sense!
(A link to the fun, interactive tour of the rooms and house follows the explanatory text.)
The dining room and entry foyer of Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House. Designed and assembled by Sir Edward Lutyens, a leading architect of the day, this extravagant scale model dolls’ house was commissioned as a gift for Mary wife of King George V. Built between 1921-1924 and weighing nearly 5 tons, Lutyens’ small but royal edifice utilized over 1500 designers, precise furniture replicas of those in Windsor Castle, functioning doors and elevators- even glowing electrified lighting and running water piped through delicate water line. All entirely in miniature. Quite an extravagant gift, even by today’s standards!
About 8 feet high and 5 feet wide and deep, the Queen’s doll house showcased the finest of material possessions of the early 20th century. The house was later displayed at public venues to raise funds for Queen Mary’s charities. More than 1.6 million visitors viewed the special collection while exhibited at the British Empire Exhibition in 1924–1925. Now on permanent display at Windsor Castle, it is a ‘must see’ for young at heart visitors, miniature enthusiasts and architectural modelers from around the world.
(The Link to the fun interactive tour follows below.)
Built to a scale of 1:12 (one inch=one foot), the house contains models of products from the prominent companies of that era along with original scaled artwork and murals. It is remarkable for the precise 3D detailing of every object and surface within it, many of which are tiny replicas of historic royal furnishings and decor. Automobiles of that era are parked inside the basement garage. Actual miniature hand bound books reside on hand carved library shelves.Scaled down Items were crafted by the original manufacturers, or by master model makers. The fabrics, carpets, curtains and furnishings are all matched, and illuminated by working light fixtures. The bathrooms are fully plumbed, complete with flushing toilet and accessorized with miniature toilet paper! Plants in the adjacent gardens appear lush and well tended by temporarily absent master gardeners.
Noted painters were enlisted to produce all miniature artwork for the walls. In addition, well-known authors wrote special books for the house’s library.These were then meticulously bound, each barely 1 inch high. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle submitted his short story “How Watson Learned The Trick”, and the ghost-story writer M. R. James wrote and contributed “The Haunted Dolls’ House”. Other publications on the shelves included those by Rudyard Kipling and W. Somerset Maugham. Even glass bottles and wood cases stocked in the wine cellar were filled with their actual gins and wines for the parlor or dining table. (Wikipedia references)
We hope you enjoy the fingertip tour inside Queen Mary’s little house and share this with young family members and young at heart friends! Click on the link to start the tour, then hover and click on the yellow dot markers to the right indicating each room and move around that room using the lower cursers and magnifiers.) http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/queenmarysdollshouse/house.html
From the staff of FLOODCO LLC. Northwest Montana’s ‘Full Scale’ Remediation & Restoration Company!
Credits: Linked Website and book ‘The Queen’s Dolls’ House’ owned by the Royal Collection. Copyright 2010 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. Website design and photography by Rory Mathews with web production by Pamela Meredith.